HOT SHOT 20
20. Never let people’s comments disturb, discourage or distract you. Especially when you start, just keep at it….I have always noticed a few people come around with a few sketches and then they stop because someone said something derogatory.
For this post I have decided to put some sketches from 2000-2014, these sketches were just picked randomly…..sometimes I’m moving forward, sometimes I’m moving backward, but one thing is clear I don’t STOP! I just keep on going and that’s the right attitude to have, even when faced with negative comments.
There is nothing so deadly and there is nothing so devastating……than to stop a good job you started because someone said something negative about your progress.
Look, we are all prone to mistakes, we are all prone to errors, but there is none so perfect among us that cannot be tutored or corrected or taught a little bit more than what or where they are now.
We need constructive criticism to excel; we need a bit of honest advice to move our work to the next level, as artists. So it is very important that we get someone, an artist, a mentor, someone we admire, who we know, will be able to tell us the honest, blatant truth. This is the only way we can advance!
We all need coaches! People who can see potential in us and be patient enough to help us through the fitting period, the despairing moments, the valleys of our lives and still never give up on us!
I was lucky to have people who helped me through my roughest moments, gave me the desire to move on and the hunger to ask and go for more! Those are the kind of people that we have to discover, fetch them out and get close to them so that we can be confident that we are making the right progress at the right time and at the right pace.
BUT BEWARE OF PEOPLE- who are dream stealers, who can never see anything good in what you do. They have no skill and wisdom to offer a right level of direction. They don’t know the weight of negative words. They probably are negative and struggling themselves. This could be the real reason why they never see anything good in what others do.
You have to be BIG enough not to allow a careless comment, a careless statement or one of those sharp razor cutting criticisms to STOP YOUR PROGRESS WHILE DEVELOP YOUR SKETCHES.
I cannot say this more! SKETCHING, real OBSERVATION SKETCHING FROM LIFE, will give life, courage, confidence and positive spirit to whatever you do in representational art! You’ll be able to take on any subject matter with so much confidence!
I hope you have got the point and are ready to take the jump and keep it going! Sometimes even our own negative comments can be the devastating blow! So be careful what you say, be POSITIVE, stay FRESH, keep FIT and DO IT EVERYDAY!!!
One Day Workshop: Get Ready To Discover How To
Paint A Convincing And Expressive Urban Landscape
Here Is Glimpse Of What You Will Learn On The Day:
- How to paint convincing and expressive Urban landscapes-indoors.
- What to look for outdoors to give your indoor paintings that spark of the outdoors!
- Making colour notes.
- The importance of an abstract pattern with a very good value plan.
- Approaching your painting with a layering and corrective process with the mind of a sketcher.
- How to scale your pictures to suit the size of the ground you are going to be working on. Both the traditional way and with the Accurasee App.
- How to put figures and cars into the painting through the silhouette method without getting bogged down with much detail.
- How to simplify perspective in three simple steps.
- The best times to take pictures.
- Making your painting a personal statement and developing a painters shorthand that suggests rather than copies.
- And most importantly, get direction and help from Adebanji while you work on your paintings after the break.